BOOK AN APPOINTMENT | ORDER MEDICATION | T: 020 8300 8111
SIDCUP HOSPITAL DA14 5HB | T: 020 8300 8111

Routine & Emergency

Address: 53-55 Maidstone Road,
Foots Cray, Kent, DA14 5HB

Main Tel: 0208 300 8111
E-Mail: footscray@parkvets.net

Hospital Consulting hours

Monday to Friday: 8am to 9.30pm
Saturday and Sunday: 9am to 6.00pm
Emergency appointments 24/7

Useful Phone Numbers

Clinical Administration: 020 8269 8852
Insurance: 020 8269 8847
Accounts and Finance: 020 8269 8846
VIP & Lion Club: 020 8300 2777

Clinics

Bromley Parkvets
Tel: 020 8619 0973 | Postcode: BR2 9QN
Belvedere Parkvets
Tel: 020 8311 5250 | Postcode: DA17 5QQ
Chislehurst Parkvets
Tel: 020 8295 1100 | Postcode: BR7 5AQ
Eltham Parkvets
Tel: 020 8859 7914 | Postcode: SE9 6SZ
Hayes Parkvets
Tel: 020 8619 0499 | Postcode: BR2 7LD
Longfield Parkvets
Tel: 01474 703377 | Postcode: DA3 7QD
Petts Wood Parkvets
Tel: 01689 867810 | Postcode: BR5 1HD
Parkvets@Home
Tel: 01689 813511 | Postcode: DA14 5HB
Swanley Parkvets
Tel: 01322 665916 | Postcode: BR8 8AH

Quick Contact

Your Email *

Subject

Your Message

Parkvets-QualifiedLogos-1

Have A Happy & Healthy Christmas With These Tips!

Have A Happy & Healthy Christmas With These Tips!
13/12/2016 Parkvets

Enjoy a stress free and healthy Christmas with your pet by keeping in mind these safety tips…

You might think your pet loves festive treats and Christmas dinner as much as you do, but many of our favourite Christmas treats can be quite harmful for our pets.

Did you know that raisins, currants, and sultanas can be poisonous to dogs & cats? All forms of grape can cause numerous digestive issues for your pet or be potentially fatal. If your pup starts sniffing the Christmas pudding or the grapes on your cheese board, make sure he doesn’t try for a nibble!

Many of the dangers for our pets during the festive season are food related. As you probably already know, chocolate can be toxic to your dog or cat. The cocoa solids which are present in white, milk, and dark chocolate contain Theobromine and caffeine, which our dogs and cats have trouble processing. Consumption of chocolate, can not only cause stomach upset, but also heart arrhythmias, muscle tremors, or even seizures. Err on the side of caution with chocolate and keep it well clear of your pet.

Table scraps can also cause your pet stomach upset if it includes any members of the onion family. Any onions, shallots, leeks, garlic, or chives are toxic and can lead to anaemia if consumed in large enough quantities or eaten regularly. Make sure any food you give your pet does not include chopped up onion or seasoning with garlic. Keep in mind that some gravies also include garlic or onion in their seasoning.

Once Christmas dinner is done and dusted, make sure all the leftovers are stored or in the bin securely. Mould can be extremely harmful to dogs and cats. Mould contains toxins which attack your pet’s nervous system and can cause tremors and seizures.

It may go without saying… but just in case! Don’t give your pooch or cat any alcohol. We hope no explanation is needed, but your pet can easily get alcohol poisoning from your favourite fermented beverage.

 

Make the festive period stress free for both you and your pet by keeping anything that looks edible out of the way. We know our pets like to explore new things. While this can be sweet to watch, make sure they don’t decide to gobble up any presents or Christmas baubles! Keep an eye on your poinsettias or any floral arrangements that contain lilies. Poinsettias can cause severe stomach upset in your dogs and cats, while lilies can be fatal. It may be best to keep these plants out of any room your pet is in and ensure you clear away any dropped petals or leaves as quickly as possible.

If your pet does consume anything mentioned above please come to see us as soon as possible to avoid any complications. Don’t forget we are open for emergencies 24/7 during the festive period.

We hope you have a happy and healthy Christmas and New Year!

Need Emergency Help?

Emergency contact number:

0845 543 8492 

 

Has your pet eaten one of the above mentioned items? Give us a call to make sure your pet gets the treatment they need.

We are open 24/7 during the holiday period for emergencies.

We have our own out-of-hours emergency service – 24HourVet – and it is run from our main hospital location and staffed around the clock, by members of our very own vet and nursing team.

This means that whenever your pet needs urgent medical assistance our experienced, highly capable and compassionate team is available – 24/7.  And if your pet needs to stay with us for further tests or even surgery, they do not need to be transferred to another location.  Instead they stay under our care, in our hospital, looked after by our vets and nurses.

Ultimately this results in not only greater comfort for your pet, but peace of mind for you too.

0 Comments

Leave a reply